A Nigerian national, Augustine Okechuku Maazi, has appeared before the Accra Circuit Court 8 in Ghana over an alleged plot to rob three banks in the Labone area of Accra.
Maazi reportedly appeared in court on Monday, August 17, after his arrest four days earlier during an operation by Ghanaian police. Authorities allege that he was among a group preparing to attack three banks located within the Labone area.
According to the police account, intelligence was received on August 13 indicating that a group was allegedly planning to target GCB Bank, Ecobank and Zenith Bank. Officers were subsequently deployed to the area, where they reportedly spotted individuals believed to be connected to the alleged operation...READ THE FULL ARTICLE HERE .
Police said one of the vehicles in the area sped away after its occupants noticed the presence of security personnel. A pursuit reportedly followed, resulting in Maazi’s arrest, while another person in the vehicle escaped.
Authorities further alleged that occupants of a second vehicle attempted to flee while firing at police officers. The confrontation reportedly resulted in a shootout in which two suspects were killed.
Police said two vehicles were recovered during the operation, alongside a pistol. The arrested Nigerian was subsequently brought before the court as investigations into the alleged robbery plot continued.
However, the circumstances surrounding the case have generated questions after GCB Bank publicly denied that its Labone branch had been attacked or that an attempted robbery had taken place at the premises.
The bank reportedly stated that its facility was never breached and that no customers, employees, funds or property were affected. This has created a significant difference between the police’s account of an alleged planned attack and the bank’s position that no robbery attempt occurred at its branch.
Further questions have also emerged concerning one of the vehicles reportedly recovered during the operation. The Toyota Highlander identified by the police was said to have previously been listed by Ghanaian authorities as having been impounded in 2019, prompting questions about its history and the circumstances in which it was allegedly recovered.
The case has attracted the attention of Nigerian officials in Ghana, with representatives of the Nigerian community reportedly seeking clarification from Ghanaian authorities over Maazi’s arrest and the deaths of the two other suspects.
The intervention comes as questions remain about the events that led to the arrest and the exact role allegedly played by those involved.
For now, Maazi remains an accused person, and the allegations against him have yet to be established in court. Investigators are expected to continue examining the evidence, identifying the escaped suspect and determining what actually happened during the police operation.
The case is therefore likely to attract further attention as the court proceedings continue and authorities work to resolve the conflicting accounts surrounding the alleged bank robbery plot.








